Saturday, October 27, 2012

Amethyst - a short story


Amethyst 
By 
JoAnna
Santanen


“I wouldn’t do that if I were you,” whispered my best friend, Daphne. She was several paces behind me, frozen in her place.
Her words were a warning, yes, but at the same time, almost a taunt.  The urge to disobey her was there, bubbling under the surface of my mind.  I knew I shouldn’t, but I couldn’t resist.  I crept closer to my target, as quiet as a cheetah on the prowl through golden, Savannah grasses, ready to pounce. My breath grew quick at my anticipation.  As I drew nearer, I reached my small, chubby-fingered hand outward toward it.
 Her beautiful, long-lashed lavender eyes twinkled as she met my brown-eyed stare.  She blinked once slowly, in recognition of my presence and my intention of touching her.  I was holding my breath at the awe of the moment as my hand touched the soft fur covering her body.  I ran my palm over her long, thick neck that felt surprisingly soft and velvety.  She puffed out a loud snuff from her nostrils, cooing for more affection.  She was ethereally angelic, her body glowing white as snow against the dark forest.  She was a magnificent statue of strong muscles over sturdy bones. 
Her long, spiraled horn shone bright light into the summer’s pitch black night.  She was magical beyond my wildest imaginings, and most importantly, she was real.  A real unicorn was allowing me to touch her, to draw myself near to her magic and be forever blessed by its power. 
I couldn’t believe that the stories were true.   Unicorns were so rare no one ever saw them.  They were legends never confirmed by anyone in our tiny village or from any other place.  My father thought unicorn stories were probably just fictional tales passed down through the ages until everyone had accepted them as truth.  I knew the stories were true in my heart, whether he believed or not.
“It’s been a long time since I saw a human.” A gentle woman’s voice said from seemingly nowhere.  There was no mistaking that the voice did not belong to my friend Daphne, who was still standing silently, utterly petrified behind me.
“Who said that?” I asked, looking around for someone else nearby, keeping my hand on her steady so she didn’t spook.
“I did, of course.” She replied, while nudging me with her giant nose, brushing up against my side with a well-meaning gentleness.
I jumped back from her, too shocked to speak.  I opened my eyes wide at her in my disbelief.  I brushed my long brown hair back out of my face so I could see her better.
“You can…t-talk?” I stammered.
“Only telepathically.” Her voice resonated back to me like the hum of a finely tuned cello.  Her tone was deep and rich as dark chocolate, but soft as a feather.  
 “I never heard of a telepathic unicorn.” I replied.
“You’ve heard of other unicorns?” She asked.
“Yes. I know about unicorns.”
“Well, I am not likely to be the same as all other unicorns.  My name is Amethyst.  I am guardian of this forest and many beyond it.  And what is your name, child?”
“It’s uh…Tempest.”  I could hardly speak to her.   I felt unworthy of her greatness.
“What have you heard?” She blinked her sparkling eyes at me.  Her divine soul showed through their depth.
“That if you can find a unicorn, they will bless you with some of their magic.” I said somewhat bashfully.  The request seemed a bit demanding of me, knowing how spectacular her presence was compared to my meager, childish existence.  I was only eleven, after all.
 “Tempest, do you know how you would earn my blessing?” Amethyst asked.
“Yes, I do.  I must solve your riddle.” I said aloud, as I ran my hand down the length of her side, as high as I could reach her.  She towered over me with her massive size.
“Do you feel you are capable of meeting such a challenge?”
“Maybe.” I replied, truthfully.  “But I must at least try.  Your blessing would help my family.”
“In what way?”
“You sure ask a lot of questions.” I declared.
“Unicorns are naturally inquisitive.” She answered.  “Now, why does your family need my blessing? I must warn you, blessings are not for the selfish, so choose your answer carefully.”
“My sister, Patience, is sick.  I came looking for you because you’re her only hope.  My friend Daphne tried to talk me out of it, but I made her go with me instead.” I said, pointing to Daphne, who ducked behind a tree as soon as I said her name. Daphne was always a scaredy-cat.
“You two young girls ventured out deep into the forest, at night, alone?”
I bowed my head.  I was ashamed of my poor choice to put myself and my friend in danger.  “We needed to find you and unicorns can only be seen at night, right?  I brought a spear in case we needed it for protection from predators.”
“You believe you could fight off a jaguar with a spear?” She laughed at me as she asked.
I nodded timidly and looked down at the lumpy earth beneath my old, leather shoes.   
“Your bravery is commendable despite your foolishness.  Your  reason to ask for my blessing is honorable.  You may attempt to solve my riddle, if you wish.”
“I can?  Thank you!” I exclaimed without hesitation.
“You are confident you will accomplish the challenge?”  She asked coyly.
I walked around the front of her to look her in her crystalline eyes.  “I must solve it, for my sister.  I believe I can.” I said with conviction.
“I believe you will, Tempest.”  She took a few steps around in a circle, lifting her legs high in her prance before turning toward me again.  I knotted my fingers together behind my back and stood up straight and  tall at her attention, like my mother would tell me to do during lesson time.
She bowed her head to me deeply, and her horn shone brighter than anything I’d ever seen before.  I had to look away until it dimmed again.
“What is all around us, but has no mass, can be channeled but never seen, can be felt but never touched, can be known but never heard and is non-existent for those who do not believe?”
I considered my options for a moment.  I had three choices that sprang to mind and I wanted to be certain of the right one.  I decided to consider each individually, hoping to rule out the wrong ones.
First, I thought about the Gods.  My mother’s lessons about the Gods could be non-existent if I didn’t believe her teachings, but the ancient stories recall plenty of instances where each God was seen by a human.  The Gods could not be the answer.
Second, I considered energy.  Energy was a sacred teaching also.  Energy existed everywhere and ran through everything, but could never be seen.  It had no mass but was all around us.  I could feel energy in the warmth of my mother’s hugs and hear it in my little sister’s voice before she got sick.  I could feel energy in my body after a good meal, too.  I did when my father brings home a large kill and we can eat the meat until we are stuffed to the brim.  And, your energy will cease if you don’t believe you have any. 
You can feel the energy of fire or water by touching them, so that could not be the answer, either.
My final answer for consideration was magic.  My family believes that magic is an unending spiritual energy that exists in everything.  It cannot be seen, but is all around us.  It has no mass, so it cannot be touched, but can be felt within us all.  It can be channeled into spells and rituals, but dies if you do not believe in it.  I could think of nothing to contradict it.  The answer had to be magic.  It made perfect sense, considering that unicorns are said to have been made from pure magic.
“At the risk of being wrong, I am ready to give my answer, Amethyst.” I said proudly, hoping that by seeming sure, I could feel more certain of myself and my ability to solve the riddle.
“I will ask you again,” she said as her horn glowed brighter, “What is all around us, but has no mass, can be channeled but never seen, can be felt but never touched, can be known but never heard and is non-existent for those who do not believe?”
“My answer is magic.” I said, crossing my fingers behind my back.
“Your answer is…correct.” Amethyst said with a smile in her enormous horse eyes.  “I knew you could do it, Tempest.  You were always worthy of my blessing, even if you didn’t think you were.  You braved the forest at night with only a spear to protect yourself, knowing that big cats roam these woods.  Your motives were selfless because you came only to save your sister, even at your own peril.  You found me only because you believed with all of your heart that my magic is real.  Had you had even the tiniest doubt of my existence, you would have never laid eyes upon me.  I am the guardian of this forest and all who seek my help for pure reasons.  Your wish has been granted, Tempest.  Magic will cure your sister.”
Tears streamed down my cheeks with joy.  I’d done it, I’d saved my sister.  She will live on and my parents will not know the sorrow of losing a child.  I ran towards Amethyst and wrapped my arms around her gigantic neck.  I buried my face against her toned muscle covered in fur softer than a rabbit’s.  I cried from my relief, grateful that I would not have to carry the burden of my sister’s death.
After a few moments, I calmed myself.  I stepped away from Amethyst.  I knew it was time to say goodbye.
“You will have a safe journey home.  You needn’t worry.  Now, return to your family and see the glow of health in your sister’s rosy cheeks again.” Amethyst said.
“Thank you.  Thank you so much, “I said with a big smile, as I wiped the tears from my face.
Amethyst’s horn glowed brighter than it ever had.  I shielded my eyes with my arm and turned away to keep the light from blinding me.  When it dimmed, I turned to look for her, but Amethyst was gone.
“Come on, Daphne. She’s gone.” I said as I turned to walk back toward home. 
Daphne stepped out from behind a tree trunk.  “That was amazing.” Daphne whispered.
“Aren’t you glad you came with me? Come on, let’s go home. I can’t wait to see Patience.” I said, wrapping my arm around my friend as we walked back through the forest towards our village.  The walk home was quick and easy, unlike the trek into the dark forest had been when we’d left home hours ago.  We knew that Amethyst was watching, and that her magic would see us home safely to our healthy, happy families.





No comments:

Post a Comment