Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Vices and Temptation


I know I have far too many vices and often think about what ramifications I will have to suffer if I don't change my indulgent ways.  I don't like to think that my hedonistic, instant gratification lifestyle will likely cost me later in life, but in reality, there's no escaping it.  It doesn't really matter what your vice - drinking, smoking, drugs, eating, gambling, shopping - any vice in excess is cause for concern.
Knowing full well that I seem to have an addictive personality, I frequently yo-yo back and forth with my little guilty pleasures.  I'm sure I'm no different than others in this way.  Basically, I'm either quitting something or giving up on "quitting" something.  Its a vicious cycle.  Right now, I'm fighting to quit smoking (for the thousandth time).  It's horrible, but not for the reasons you might think.
I don't know what it is about lifestyle change, but when I make a major alteration in my life, it seems to be followed by a period of insomnia.  This backlash drains me of my energy and makes the task of adjustment that much harder.  After a few days without sleep, my determination wears down and the temptresses of convenience and ease seem all the more appealing.  Self control is not an easy thing to come by, especially when you're exhausted.
In addition to insomnia, periods of adjustment depress me.  I'm sure it's natural for this to happen, but they make it seem like the joy of life has been sucked away by an antagonistic vacuum bent on making me feel like hell.  While I know the dip in mood is only temporary, and I will quickly overcome it, the waiting around for everything to feel "normal" is rather irritating.  To pass the time until all is well again, I'd like to take naps.  But then - I can't sleep. Grr!
I try to appreciate the fact that I even bother with limiting my over-indulgences.  Many people don't try to exercise self control very often, if at all.  I'm not worldly enough to know whether the gluttonous way of living that most of us participate in is strictly an American affliction, but I doubt it.  I wouldn't assume that our capitalist ideals are the blame for my addiction to tobacco.  I think that removes too much of my personal responsibility for my choices.
As difficult as self control can be, success is within my grasp.  I know that I have the will to do whatever I set my mind to if only because I'm stubborn.  I have been successful in the past, and I will again.  I just hope that I don't think later on that since I conquered my vice before, that I can have it again.  That's where I always go wrong.  When you're nearing the end of the race track, you don't turn around and run back the other way.  That's just counterproductive.  Bearing that in mind, I'm resolving to find my new normal and stay there.  Wish me luck!


  

No comments:

Post a Comment